“Late last week we received some additional information that caused us to make some more inquiries,” said James Fitzgerald, a Crown prosecutor. “When I spoke to the complainant we came to the decision that we simply didn’t have a reasonable likelihood of conviction.”
Boogaard, 24, had been charged with assault causing bodily harm in connection with a nightclub fight last August.
Fitzgerald didn’t reveal the nature of the new information that led to the charge being stayed, except to say “a little more detail was forthcoming then we previously were aware of, and that changed our perspective.”
Boogaard, who was born in Saskatoon and makes his home in Regina in the off-season, wasn’t in court Monday. He had no goals, one assist and 120 penalty minutes – including 10 fighting majors – in 48 games.
“His position throughout has been that he was not guilty of the offence that he was charged with, so (he’s) obviously glad that it’s been resolved,” defence lawyer Aaron Fox said.