Update: Bruins’ Subban out indefinitely with fractured larynx after puck to throat

Bruins AHL goaltender Malcolm Subban had a scare Saturday night when he took a puck to the throat during warmups and needed to be transported to hospital. Subban, 22, was held overnight and will reportedly be evaluated again Sunday, but it’s believed he’ll travel with teammates Sunday evening.

It’s been a rough couple weeks for Boston Bruins netminders. Jonas Gustavsson was hospitalized following the first period of a Jan. 26 game due to an elevated heart rate, and less than two weeks later, netminder Malcolm Subban was forced to spend his night in hospital after taking a puck to the throat ahead of Saturday’s AHL game.

During warmup ahead of the Providence Bruins’ game against the Portland Pirates, Subban was struck in the throat with a puck and had to head off ice. Once off the ice, he was transported to hospital by ambulance and held overnight.

Subban, who was scheduled to be the starter, was replaced by Zane McIntyre. For a while, the Bruins sat winger Benn Ferriero in the spot usually reserved for the backup goaltender, but he was later replaced by Joe Parker, a local men’s league player who was in attendance.

Subban, 22, had recently been up with the NHL Bruins, but was demoted to the Providence Bruins when Gustavsson returned from injury Feb. 4.

Though neither the NHL nor AHL Bruins have released a statement, it appears he’s still in hospital but could be released to travel with his Providence teammates today. ESPN’s Joe McDonald reported that Subban was being evaluated again Sunday morning, but, according to NESN’s Amalie Benjamin, Subban should rejoin the team this evening.

READ ALSO:  Thornton, Rinaldo and Neal the latest to embarrass the NHL with their antics

Subban has played 27 games in Providence this season and has a 14-8-5 record. He’s been the best goaltender the AHL Bruins have this season, and has posted a 2.46 goals-against average and .911 save percentage with one shutout in his appearances.

UPDATE: The Bruins have announced that Subban will be out indefinitely with a fractured larynx.

Malcolm Subban was struck in the throat with a puck Saturday night during pregame warmups,” the Bruins said in a statement. “He was transported to Maine Medical Center and was diagnosed with a fractured larynx. He stayed overnight at Maine Medical Center and was transported to Mass General Hospital on Sunday for further evaluation. He is in stable condition and will be sidelined indefinitely. The team will provide additional details when they become available.”