1. Buffalo. The Sabres have erased seven two-goals deficits this season.
2. Anaheim. Here’s a test: 10 of 14 December games on the road.
3. Nashville. Chris Mason is a capable replacement for Tomas Vokoun.
4. San Jose. Matt Carle has cooled off a bit.
5. Detroit. Confidence-boosting win over Dallas.
6. Dallas. Come on folks, Marty Turco is the starting goalie.
7. Carolina. Keep an eye on sly GM Jim Rutherford. He likes to tweak.
8. Edmonton. Petr Sykora looks like the best off-season signing in the league.
9. Montreal. Opened some eyes with a win at Buffalo.
10. Atlanta. Kari Lehtonen needed that shutout last week.
11. Toronto. GM John Ferguson deserves a multi-year extension.
12. N.Y. Islanders. Can they survive the loss of top scorer Alexei Yashin for 2-4 weeks?
13. N.Y. Rangers. Henrik Lundqvist has looked much better of late.
14. Calgary. Southern California wasn’t kind.
15. Tampa Bay. Johan Holmqvist the man in goal right now.
16. Ottawa. Still need to trade for a No. 2 centre.
17. New Jersey. Brutal road trip out West.
18. Minnesota. A great October followed by a disaster of a November for Manny Fernandez.
19. Boston. The goaltending issues have been put to rest for now.
20. Pittsburgh. The Penguins got a glimpse at life without Sid the Kid and it wasn’t pretty.
21. Vancouver. Began Tuesday 50 goals behind the Sabres.
22. Colorado. Jordan Leopold close to making his Avs debut.
23. Los Angeles. Back-to-back wins!
24. Philadelphia. Back-to-back wins!
25. Phoenix. Yanic Perreault has been a golden pickup.
26. Washington. The Caps are free-falling.
27. Florida. That Roberto Luongo deal isn’t looking so great.
28. Columbus. Ken Hitchcock was a splendid hiring.
29. St. Louis. Doug Weight has really struggled.
30. Chicago. On his way out, Trent Yawney could be heard saying: “Give me some players!”