With a little over three weeks to go before the Pittsburgh Penguins are scheduled to open training camp, Sidney Crosby’s status remains as uncertain as ever.
Amid speculation the Penguins captain has suffered a setback in his recovery from post-concussion syndrome, Crosby’s agent released a statement Monday to pour cold water on media reports.
“Sidney hasn’t been shut down by anyone,” said agent Pat Brisson of CAA Sports. “He has simply adjusted his summer program accordingly to the different needs (required) for appropriate recovery.”
Brisson indicated that Crosby will address the media at an “appropriate time” to provide an update on his condition.
The 24-year-old hasn’t spoke to reporters since two days after the Penguins season ended in April. He last appeared in a game on Jan. 5, when he took a blow to the head for a second straight game and was diagnosed with a concussion.
Last week, Penguins general manager Ray Shero told reporters Crosby “has progressed really well this summer” and indicated the star centre was due to return to Pittsburgh for evaluation before the team opens training camp on Sept. 17.
However, Shero stopped short of predicting whether Crosby would be in the lineup when the Penguins open the regular season in Vancouver on Oct. 6.
“There is no expectation from me that he won’t be ready or he will be ready,” Shero said.
On Monday night, CTV News reported Crosby had suffered a setback that forced him to cancel all of his scheduled on-ice workouts in a Halifax rink.
Citing several unnamed sources, the network also said it appears unlikely that Crosby will attend the start of training camp—a claim Brisson took issue with.
“Training camp is in three weeks from now,” he said. “It is too premature to speculate all kinds of deliberate information at this point. …
“As far as I know training camp hasn’t started yet.”