Yesterday was Black Friday, so the hockey games started as early as 11:30 AM Eastern Time. We’re sure you didn’t get a glimpse of every one, so catch up on what you missed here:
Essential Water Cooler
Just one day after Oilers goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov shut out the Nashville Predators in his first start of the season, he regressed to his previous season self, allowing four goals in the first two periods against the Columbus Blue Jackets and was pulled in favor Devan Dubnyk for the final frame. It only took one game, but the honeymoon period is already over in Edmonton. It’s time for Bryz to start putting up like he did in Phoenix and Anaheim, or this brief stint in Edmonton could be his last.
Racing to a loose puck with Islanders goaltender Kevin Poulin, Detroit’s Darren Helm goes airborne trying to double the Red Wings lead.
Men of the Night
1. Sidney Crosby continued his hot streak this season with three assists against Tampa Bay, inflating his league-leading points total to 36.
2. The San Jose Sharks have been excelling this season, thanks to Logan Couture and his regular superhuman efforts. Against the St. Louis Blues, he not only assisted on three goals, but he won 59 percent of his faceoffs, and had significant ice time on the power play and penalty kill. If that doesn’t show you his value to the Sharks, not much else will.
3. Not having won a game since November 1, Red Wings goaltender Jimmy Howard beefed up his game and stopped all 29 shots en route to a shutout against the New York Islanders.
4. Not always known for his offensive play, Eric Fehr scored a goal and assisted on the game-tying goal against the Canadiens, and even scored the first goal in the shootout for the Washington Capitals, leading them to a crucial 3-2 victory.
5. Brent Burns not only scored a hat trick for the Sharks, but added an assist as well. His four points led the team.
Better Luck Next Time
Brian Boyle might be one of the tallest players in the NHL but – and we can’t stress this enough – it just isn’t smart hockey to try and fight Zdeno Chara. Seriously.