Flyers’ third-period surge scuttles Bruins

BOSTON (Ticker) — Simon Gagne scored two third-period goals to
power the Philadelphia Flyers to a 4-2 victory over the Boston
Bruins on Tuesday.

With the game tied at 1-1 entering the third period, Gagne broke
the deadlock with his 25th goal of the season. Gagne tipped a
shot past Manny Fernandez at 2:22. The assists went to Andrew
Alberts and Mike Knuble.

Little more than three minutes later, Knuble doubled the
advantage with a wrist shot. Captain Mike Richards and Gagne
picked up the assists.

Gagne recorded his second of the game and 26th of the season off
a beautiful feed from Richards at 16:25. Gagne took a gorgeous
pass from Richards, and took his time before easily beating
Fernandez from in close finish off out the Bruins.

Gagne wound up with two goals and an assist, Knuble had a goal
and two assists and Richards picked up two assists for the

The rest was left to Antero Niittymaki. The Finnish goaltender
made 22 saves as he kept the Bruins at bay after giving up a
first-period goal to Patrice Bergeron until Mark Stuart scored
at 19:18 of the third period on a wrist shot.

READ ALSO:  Frederik Andersen continues love of Lego with Batman mask

Bergeron gave the Bruins a 1-0 lead with 5:35 left in the first
period on his first power-play goal since October 6, 2007.
All-Star defenseman Zdeno Chara fed Bergeron in the right
faceoff circle, where the center one-timed a slapshot past
Niittymaki stick-side. It was Bergeron’s seventh goal of the
season and third in his last seven games.

Philadelphia got the equalizer thanks to a sloppy play by the
Bruins, whose attempt to pass out of their own zone early in the
second was intercepted by Scottie Upshall. The 25-year-old
right wing skated in untouched on Fernandez and beat him for his
seventh goal of the season just 1:49 in.

Upshall’s goal snapped a scoreless streak of 111:27 for the
Flyers dating to the second period of a 4-3 overtime loss
against Montreal on Friday.

The Bruins missed a golden chance to take the lead with less
than three minutes left in the second period when Byron Bitz hit
the goalpost and the Niitymaki fell with the puck underneath his