EDMONTON – The final roster of the Edmonton Oilers is a little clearer after five players were cut following Sunday’s 5-4 overtime win over the Vancouver Canucks.
Forwards Rob Schremp and Kip Brennan, defenceman Taylor Chorney and goaltender Devan Dubnyk were all assigned to the Oilers’ AHL affiliate in Springfield while centre Jordan Eberle was returned to his junior team in Regina.
“Jordan had a terrific camp, and so did Rob for that matter,” said Oilers head coach Pat Quinn. “We just had quite a few similar players. We are trying to change our appearance here and get some size and grit in our lineup and that was a factor in our decisions.”
The only player that will have to clear waivers is Schremp, who admits that he is hoping another team will take a chance on him after five years of failing to catch on with the Oilers.
“It’s disappointing not to make the club,” said Schremp. “I’d be lying if I didn’t say that I’m hoping someone will pick me up. I want to play in the NHL and if that doesn’t happen here I will take my chance anywhere. That’s my goal and my dream. No disrespect to the Oilers, but this process gives you a chance to go someplace else if you aren’t going to get a chance somewhere and I’m hoping that will be the case.”
In Eberle’s case, the Oilers felt the hero for Team Canada at last year’s World Junior Hockey Championships could use one more year in junior.
“They saw that I can compete at this level but they want me to go back to junior and be a leader there,” said Eberle. “It’s tough anytime you get cut but I’ll go back down to junior and hopefully have a good year there and at the World Juniors. It’s another year to learn and get better.”
The cuts take the Oilers down from 32 players to 27 with three players expected to be placed on the injured reserve in forwards Fernado Pisani, Marc-Antoine Pouliot and defenceman Theo Peckham.