The union’s embattled executive director was reacting to a Toronto Star story that police were investigating whether the NHLPA interfered with player e-mails. Saskin released a statement saying he would not comment further while the internal review launched last month continued.
“The NHLPA is fully co-operating with the internal review process currently being conducted,” Saskin said in the statement. “As we have previously advised, we will not be making any comment until the review process is complete.
“We remain confident that there have been no illegal activities at the NHLPA and are looking forward to responding to these allegations once the internal review has been completed and reported on to the membership.”
The Toronto Star reported Monday that Toronto police are investigating complaints that executives at the NHLPA accessed and in some cases blocked the e-mail accounts of players who have challenged the hiring of Saskin.
Last month, the players voted for an independent investigation into the hiring of Saskin in July 2005.
For the past two weeks, police have been looking into allegations Saskin and Ken Kim, the union’s senior director of business, ordered technical support staff at the union to access player e-mail accounts hosted by the union, and whether such an action would be illegal, four sources familiar with the investigation told the newspaper.
The Star said Toronto police have now presented their findings to a Crown prosecutor, who will decide whether there is enough evidence to lay criminal charges.