Yesterday at thn.com:
In Screen Shots, Adam Proteau wonders if an NHL player will ever publicly stand up for what he believes in like Muhammad Ali.
In his blog, Rory Boylen says that if you try to curb physical play in hockey, you will start to kill the game.
In Edward Fraser’s blog, he talks about how the salary cap won’t hurt the Red Wings, and also introduces new parts to the website.
In Jamie McLennan’s blog, the former NHL tender talks about his Japanese team in the playoffs and a funny story about a woman with an eye-patch.
The Year of the Ram, following Minnesota high school team Roseau Rams, talks about the disappointment the team faced in the state championship, but how the year is far from over.
Calgary 4, Atlanta 6 (story/highlights)
– Ilya Kovalchuk had a hat trick and added an assist and Kari Lehtonen stopped 28 shots.
Tampa Bay 3, Boston 1 (story/highlights)
– Mike Smith turned aside 35 shots and Vinny Lecavalier posted a goal.
Dallas 3, Detroit 5 (story/highlights)
– Pavel Datsyuk scored twice and had an assist and Chris Osgood had to make only 16 saves.
Ottawa 3, Montreal 0 (story/highlights)
– Marin Gerber had a 28-save shutout and Jason Spezza scored two goals.
New Jersey 4, Minnesota 3 (SO) (story/highlights)
– Martin Brodeur stopped 34 shots and Jamie Langenbrunner won the game in a shootout.
Los Angeles 4, Nashville 1 (story/highlights)
– Alexander Frolov notched two goals and Erik Ersberg stopped 37 shots.
Edmonton 1, Colorado 5 (story/highlights)
– Tyler Arnason and Jaroslav Hlinka had two points each and Peter Budaj made 23 saves.
Click HERE for NHL standings.
News and Views…
Colorado: Ruslan Salei returned from an eye injury.
Dallas: Matt Niskanen returned from a sore back.
Detroit: Brett Lebda returned from the flu… Kris Draper is day-to-day with a groin injury.
Edmonton: Mathieu Roy returned from an upper body injury… Joni Pitkanen is day-to-day for an undisclosed reason.
Minnesota: Chris Simon returned from the flu.
New Jersey: Paul Martin returned after missing five games with a lower body injury.
Ottawa: Daniel Alfredsson returned from an upper body injury.
Phoenix: Daniel Carcillo returned from a right knee injury.
Pittsburgh: Georges Laraque was suspended three games by the NHL.
St. Louis: Assignd Chris Beckford-Tseu to Peoria.
Vancouver: Mattias Ohlund will have left knee surgery and miss the rest of the regular season.
What’s on tap…
Atlanta at Washington, 7:00 p.m.
Chicago at Columbus, 7:00 p.m.
Carolina at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.
N.Y. Rangers at Florida, 7:30 p.m.
St. Louis at San Jose, 10:30 p.m.
The Hockey News Daily Dish, a roundup of all the previous day’s news, appears each morning only on THN.com.