In the April 13 issue of The Hockey News:
Pick up a copy at your local newsstand, buy it digitally, or subscribe at thehockeynews.com today!
• It’s playoff time. We preview all the teams involved and bring you our Stanley Cup odds and predictions.
• Senior writer Ken Campbell puts to rest the old stereotype of the dead-puck Devils. He looks at why they now score with the best in the league and will soon be hoisting their fourth Stanley Cup.
• In Overtime, columnist Eric Duhatschek looks at how Cup favorites like the Detroit Red Wings and San Jose Sharks could face their toughest post-season opponents in the first round.
• Editor-in-chief Jason Kay writes about how goalie Martin Brodeur has one more honor to earn before he can usurp Patrick Roy for greatest-of-all-time: Win the Conn Smythe Trophy for playoff MVP.
• Inside the NHL looks at how the Red Wings have earned their Cup rings without needing superstar goaltenders; TSN analyst Pierre McGuire tells us about the excitement and exhaustion of covering the first round of the playoffs; and we say goodbye to NHL journeyman Walt Poddubny.
• In the Playoff Preview, we profile the San Jose Sharks as a team trying to exercise its playoff demons with the help of some cup-winningâ€¨veterans and we look at how Joe Thornton is itching to prove his critics wrong this post-season.
• In Proteau Type, columnist Adam Proteau discusses the rude awakening that will come to players like Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews and even Olli Jokinen when they get their first taste of the NHL playoffs.
• In our opinion page, Senior Editor Brian Costello writes on why the NHL should expand the playoff pool to 20 teams from 16.
• We give you our official prediction of who will win the 2009 Stanley Cup, as polled from the THN staff and correspondents.
• Our Playoff Team Previews breakdown each squad and reveal how they’ll beat you, where they might falter and who you should pick for your playoff pool. We also profile the non-playoff teams and where they went wrong along the way.
• Prospects Unlimited profiles Keaton Ellerby of the Rochester Americans, Shane Willis of the Springfield Falcons, Braden Holtby of the Saskatoon Blades and Nick Bonino of the Boston University. Nicklas Bergfors can expect the call from the New Jersey Devils and we rank the top goalies in the American League.
• Inside the Numbers: the best and worst playoff stretch runs.
• The International Report profiles Alexei Yashin’s Russian renewal in the Kontinental League and Eye on Europe looks at the surprising results so far in the Finnish SM-liiga playoffs.
• In Crowd Shots, the best letters to the editor are featured, Adam Proteau answers readers’ questions in Ask Adam and both Brendan Shanahan of the New Jersey Devils and Patrick O’Sullivan of the Edmonton Oilers serve ‘2 Minutes in the Box.’
• The best and worst of hockey in Plus/Minus.
• Last Minute of Play features Charlie Teljeur’s hockeysockpuppettheatre cartoon, Larry Humber’s hockey crossword puzzle and Ryan Kennedy’s Jersey Hound, where he looks at one surreal Quebec League jersey that was once worn by Mario Lemieux.