In the Dec. 28 issue of The Hockey News:
• It’s our annual People of Power and Influence issue. We’ve ranked the who’s who of hockey, from players to agents to league executives to equipment suppliers. We even analyze a few of their signatures, to further understand just who these powerbrokers are. Find out who the biggest mover and shaker in hockey is.
• Alan Adams reflects on what a long, strange year 2009 was for the NHL and its fans.
• Jason Kay makes the case for our most influential personality and why he got the nod over all the other choices in the hockey universe.
• Ken Campbell traveled to Washington and caught up with the Capitals’ Alex Ovechkin to find out how the electrifying Russian has changed the NHL, the league’s popularity in D.C., and how the NHL has changed Ovie.
• In Proteau Type, Adam Proteau talks to recently retired Brendan Shanahan about his 21 years in the NHL and what he’ll do in his new capacity as the league’s first vice-president of hockey and business development.
·Check out our World Junior Championship preview, where Ryan Kennedy gives the rundown on who to look out for during the tournament and whether or not Canada will win a sixth straight gold medal. Ken Campbell provides outlooks for each country and ponders if there’s a way to make the tournament more competitive.
• Inside the NHL focuses on the top news of the decade by looking back at how THN covered three off-ice stories from the past 10 years.
· Our Olympic Tracker is targeted on the bubble boys and tough decisions that have to be made as rosters become finalized.
• NHL Team Reports look back on the past decade by highlighting the top three stories for each franchise.
• Plus/Minus has the best and worst from around the league.
• In Crowd Shots, we present the best Letters to the Editor, Adam Proteau answers readers’ questions in Ask Adam and we get Nashville prospect Colin Wilson’s memories of his NHL debut in Fresh Legs.
• The International Report heads to Sweden, where our correspondent follows Peter Forsberg and Markus Naslund’s return to hockey with their hometown team, Modo. Our KHL Notes spotlight is on Nikita Filatov, who’s been making a splash with Moscow CSKA since being loaned there from the Columbus Blue Jackets.
• In Prospects Unlimited, we see how far along P.K. Subban of the Hamilton Bulldogs is on his journey to the Canadiens’ roster. Also, Providence Bruins center Jamie Arniel is out to prove 29 NHL teams were wrong to let him slip to Boston in the fourth round of the 2008 draft. And we think Vyacheslav Voynov of the Manchester Monarchs should be expecting a call from Los Angeles for big league duty in the near future.
• Inside the Numbers does all the calculations on all the different ways NHLers are showing off their power this season.
• Last Minute of Play features Charlie Teljeur’s hockeysockpuppettheatre cartoon, Larry Humber’s hockey crossword puzzle and Ryan Kennedy’s Jersey Hound showcases the design of the Grand Rapids Griffins new third jersey, which borrows from the togs of parent club Detroit.