In the March 30th edition of The Hockey News magazine:
Pick up a copy at your local newsstand, buy it digitally, or subscribe at thehockeynews.com today!
• Our cover story profiles rising American star and New Jersey Devil Zach Parise and how his tireless work ethic not only has him poised to lead the 2010 American Olympic team, but also take his Devils on a serious run towards the Stanley Cup.
• In THN’s annual GM rankings We take a look at the league’s 30 GMs and rank them from best to worst. Plus, we examines the change of guard at the GM position and how former agents turned GMs seems to be a developing trend in the NHL.
• Senior writer Ken Campbell helps to tell one little boy’s horror story of the trials and tribulations in dealing with post-concussion syndrome.
• In Overtime, back page columnist Eric Duhatschek explains how, despite finishing atop the Eastern Conference last season, the Montreal Canadiens are going nowhere above the middle of the pack and GM Bob Gainey’s job may be on the line.
• Columnist Adam Proteau looks at the post-season and gives a few suggestions on how to make the playoffs more enjoyable.
• NHL Team Reports looks at the each team’s stretch drive as they make their march towards the playoffs.
• Editor in chief Jason Kay discusses one way to eliminate staged fighting from the NHL.
• Inside the NHL looks at Stanley Cup contenders’ acquisitions at the trade deadline and how they can give that extra push a team needs to go all the way; says goodbye to Mrs. Hockey – Colleen Howe; and discusses Ken Holland’s theory that tiebreakers should be decided by regulation wins.
• We count down the top five most penalized teams in NHL history in Starting From 5; and, in Fresh Legs, Kings defenseman Drew Doughty talks about his first NHL game. â€¨â€¨
• In our Opinion Page, Ryan Dixon tells us why Olli Jokinen should be given a chance in the playoffs before he is stuck with the reputation as playoff dud.
• Our 2009 Summer Hockey School Guide examines all the summer hockey options for kids that just can’t get enough of this great game.
• Prospects Unlimited profiles Justin Falk of the Houston Aeros, Casey Borer of the Albany River Rats, Justin DeBenedetto of the Sarnia Sting and Jordan Pierce of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. The Philadelphia Phantoms look for a new home and we rank the top rookie scorers in the American League.
• Inside the Numbers: plus/minus streaks in the NHL this year.
• The International Report explains why it’s too early to compare the KHL to the NHL and spotlights SM-liiga regular season MVP Juuso Riksman
• In Crowd Shots, the best letters to the editor are featured, Adam Proteau answers readers’ questions in Ask Adam and Eric Cole of the Carolina Hurricanes teaches us a little bit about himself in the Fan Shootout
• The best and worst of hockey in Plus/Minus.
• Last Minute of Play features Charlie Teljeur’s hockeysockpuppettheatre cartoon, Larry Humber’s hockey crossword puzzle and Ryan Kennedy’s Jersey Hound, where he looks the latest and best jersey of the Binghamton Senators/Whalers.