In the Sept. 13 edition of The Hockey News:
• Will new Toronto Maple Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf’s career be revived by the ‘C’ and can he spark the struggling franchise?
• Inside the NHL looks at rookie Tampa Bay head coach Guy Boucher, who at 39 years old has risen quickly through the ranks from junior to the American League and finally to the NHL as the league’s youngest coach. We also look at whether starting the season in Europe is really a disadvantage.
• In the Slot, Ken Campbell points the finger back at Rene Fasel, the IIHF and European federations, after they went on the attack against NHL expansion to Europe and criticized the Canadian League for stunting the growth of players from across the pond.
• The 2010 Stick Buyer’s Guide gives you the lowdown on the market.
• The best letters to the editor are printed and Adam Proteau answers your questions in Ask Adam.
• In Proteau Type, Adam Proteau writes about Nashville Predators assistant coach Brent Peterson’s battle with Parkinson’s Disease.
• NHL Team Reports enjoy the summer and tell an interesting or exciting story from the off-season.
In the Editor’s Notebook, Jason Kay writes about the dedicated Toronto fan base and how it will react to the continuing rebuild and the team’s new captain.
• The major junior preview looks ahead to 2010-11 by ranking each team in each CHL league. We also rank the top 10 prospects available in the 2011 NHL draft who will be playing in the WHL, OHL or QMJHL. Neil Hodge also features Sean Couturier of the Drummondville Voltiguers, while Ryan Kennedy profiles Ryan Nugent-Hopkins of the Red Deer Rebels, Ryan Murphy of the Kitchener Rangers and Nathan Beaulieu of the Saint John Sea Dogs.
• In Prospect Unlimited, we look at Kevin Shattenkirk of the Lake Erie Monsters and highlight the goings-on in the AHL.
• In Last Minute of Play, Jersey Hound looks at the throwback Regina Pats that will get some play this season, Larry Humber’s Crossword puzzle challenges readers, Charlie Teljeur’s hockeysockpuppettheatre provides a laugh and Hockey Night in Canada’s Jeff Marek writes about his hockey experience in Israel.