Watch AHLer Zach O’Brien end four-hour game with overtime snipe

In AHL action Wednesday night, there was a four-hour marathon post-season game played between the Manchester Monarchs and Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins. Watch as Manchester’s Zach O’Brien ends the game in the third overtime to the delight of the few people remaining in attendance.

If there’s one thing post-season hockey is known for more than playoff beards, it’s the marathon games. Already in the NHL, we’ve seen a triple-overtime contest courtesy of the Nashville Predators and Chicago Blackhawks, but that game was ended one minute into the third extra frame. Wednesday night, the Manchester Monarchs and Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins topped that in the AHL’s Calder Cup playoffs.

In Game 1 of the second-round tilt between the Monarchs, the Los Angeles Kings’ farm club, and the Penguins, the affiliate of the Pittsburgh Penguins, the two sides played to a 3-3 draw through regulation with Wilkes-Barre winger Connor Sheary scoring the final goal of regulation before the midway-mark of the third period. For the next two periods of extra hockey, no one would find the back of the net, with Penguins netminder Matt Murray and Monarchs goaltender Jean-Francois Berube turning aside 38 combined shots through the first and second overtimes.

Then, 4:13 into the third overtime, Manchester’s Zach O’Brien took a pass from David Van der Gulik and found net with his first post-season tally to send the few remaining hometown fans home happy:

READ ALSO:  After sitting out all but one game, Maple Leafs send Corrado to AHL on conditioning loan

(Video courtesy reddit user /u/WoozleWuzzle)

It’s impossible to tell what the attendance was when O’Brien buried his wrister, but it looks to be far from the 2,195 announced for the game. If there were 500 people still present for O’Brien’s marker, it would be shocking.

When all was said and done, the game spanned 4:19, beginning at 7:03 p.m. and not finishing up until 11:22 p.m. Fans certainly got their money’s worth.

O’Brien’s tally put an end to the game before it became a record-breaking marathon, though. The longest game in AHL history occurred on April 24, 2008, when the Philadelphia Phantoms downed the Albany River Rats 3-2 in the fifth overtime on a goal from Ryan Potulny. The game took more than five and a half hours to play.