The Detroit Red Wings again top our subjective rankings of the NHL’s 30 teams. Here’s a look at how everyone else fared, complete with a New Year’s wish for each team heading into 2008:
1. Detroit Red Wings. May goalies Chris Osgood and Dominik Hasek continue playing like young men.
2. Ottawa Senators. May Alfredsson, Heatley and Spezza show up when the games matter most.
3. Dallas Stars. May Sergei Zubov finally get some recognition.
4. Colorado Avalanche. May good health return to captain Joe Sakic.
5. Vancouver Canucks. May Vezina Trophy voters watch Roberto Luongo play.
6. New Jersey Devils. May Brent Sutter last longer than other recent head coaches in Jersey.
7. Minnesota Wild. May Marian Gaborik remain in the lineup.
8. Calgary Flames. May road games continue to be so kind.
9. Anaheim Ducks. May Scott Niedermayer play like a Conn Smythe winner.
10. San Jose Sharks. May Evgeni Nabokov start every game this season – how cool would that be?
11. Carolina Hurricanes. May coach Peter Laviolette’s message not be tuned out.
12. Montreal Canadiens. May Michael Ryder start finding the back of the net.
13. Boston Bruins. May Patrice Bergeron make a safe return.
14. St. Louis Blues. May Brad Boyes continue realizing his potential.
15. Buffalo Sabres. May the weather be bearable for the Winter Classic outdoor game.
16. Chicago Blackhawks. May Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane tie for first in Calder Trophy voting.
17. Pittsburgh Penguins. May Sidney Crosby keep being Sidney Crosby.
18. New York Rangers. May Henrik Lundqvist gets some offensive support.
19. Atlanta Thrashers. May Ilya Kovalchuk be the league’s first 60-goal scorer in more than a decade.
20. Toronto Maple Leafs. May a little perspective and calm be adopted by their fans.
21. New York Islanders. May Rick Dipietro continue validating The Contract.
22. Philadelphia Flyers. May they not have to talk with league disciplinarian Colin Campbell in 2008.
23. Florida Panthers. May someone other Olli Jokinen develop into a true go-to guy.
24. Columbus Blue Jackets. May their fans finally get a taste of playoff hockey.
25. Tampa Bay Lightning. May someone – anyone! – claim the No. 1 goaltending job.
26. Nashville Predators. May fans fill the building and keep the team in Tennessee.
27. Edmonton Oilers. May every game be decided in a shootout.
28. Phoenix Coyotes. May this young team bring less stress to Wayne Gretzky’s life.
29. Washington Capitals. May they get Alexander Ovechkin’s name on a contract for next season and beyond.
30. Los Angeles Kings. May their scouting staff be rewarded with good draft position.