There are only three active players who rank among the all-time top 50 in points, and two of them just recently joined the club. One current NHLer sits in the top 10 in all-time assists, but there’s only one other active NHLer in the top 50. The league’s leading goal-scorer has a chance to crack the all-time top 10 by the end of next season. As for the netminders, there’s one active goalie who stands above the rest.
Here’s a look at the NHL’s top 10 players in points, goals and assists, as well as the top 10 goalies in wins and shutouts. Their all-time ranking is listed in parentheses.
Top 10 active NHL players: POINTS
1. Joe Thornton (all-time: 15th) 1,543 1,458
2. Alex Ovechkin (all-time: 48th) 1,060 1,188
3. Sidney Crosby (all-time: 49th) 919 1,185
4. Patrick Marleau (all-time: 53rd) 1,633 1,158
5. Evgeni Malkin (all-time: t-88th) 836 989
6. Eric Staal (all-time: t-96th) 1,150 959
7. Patrick Kane (all-time: t-107th) 880 915
8. Ryan Getzlaf (all-time: 109th) 969 911
9. Jason Spezza (all-time: t-110th) 1,045 910
10. Anze Kopitar (all-time: 122nd) 979 871
-- Thornton has been playing in the NHL since 1997 and he has the points to prove it. Still, it’s amazing to think that he’s barely more than halfway to Wayne Gretzky’s all-time total of 2,857 points. He’ll likely pass No. 14 Stan Mikita (1,467) this season, but Thornton has some work to do to crack the top 10, considering he turns 40 in July and trails 10th-place Phil Esposito (1,590) by more than 130 points.
--Ovechkin (48th) and Crosby (49th) are the only other active NHLers in the all-time top 50, and they gained entry in the past couple of weeks. Marleau (53rd), Malkin (t-88th) and Staal (t-96th) are the only other active players in the all-time top 100 in points.
--Staal has 94th-place Maurice Richard (966 points) in his sights, while Kane will overtake Bobby Orr (915 points) for sole possession of 107th with his next point.
Top 10 active NHL players: GOALS
1. Alex Ovechkin (all-time: 14th) 1,060 646
2. Patrick Marleau (all-time: t-29th) 1,633 548
3. Sidney Crosby (all-time: 69th) 919 436
4. Ilya Kovalchuk (all-time: t-73rd) 864 429
5. Eric Staal (all-time: 87th) 1,150 412
6. Joe Thornton (all-time: t-91st) 1,543 407
7. Evgeni Malkin (all-time: t-109th) 836 386
8. Steven Stamkos (all-time: 114th) 723 380
9. Thomas Vanek (all-time: 124th) 1,016 369
10. Corey Perry (all-time: t-127th) 964 366
--Ovechkin, who turns 34 in September, still needs about five more 50-goal seasons to challenge Gretzky’s all-time total of 894, but the fact we’re even able to contemplate such a feat is a testament to the Caps gunner. He’s scored nearly 100 more goals than Marleau, who’s No. 2 among active players, despite playing almost 600 fewer games.
--Marleau is the only other active player in the top 50, although Kovalchuk would almost surely be there if he hadn’t left the NHL mid-career for five seasons in the KHL.
-- Marian Gaborik has 407 goals but was not included in this exercise. He’s on long-term injury reserve and hasn’t played since March 22, 2018.
Top 10 active NHL players: ASSISTS
1. Joe Thornton (all-time: 9th) 1,5431,051
2. Sidney Crosby (all-time: 44th) 919749
3. Ryan Getzlaf (all-time: 63rd) 969653
4. Nicklas Backstrom (all-time: 76th) 872632
5. Patrick Marleau (all-time: 83rd) 1,633610
6. Evgeni Malkin (all-time: 87th) 836603
7. Jason Spezza (all-time: t-97th) 1,045580
8. Patrick Kane (all-time: t-105th) 880568
9. Anze Kopitar (all-time: 108th) 979564
10. Eric Staal (all-time: 119th) 1,150547
--Thornton is within reach of all-time No. 8 Steve Yzerman (1,063 assists) this season, and will likely pass No. 7 Adam Oates (1,079 assists) next season, assuming Big Joe continues to play. After that, though, it’s going to be tough to track down No. 6 Paul Coffey (1,135) or anyone else higher up. Gretzky’s all-time mark of 1,963 assists, which is more than 700 ahead of No. 2 Ron Francis (1,249), remains safe.
--Crosby, the only other player active player in the all-time top 50, appears to be the only other current NHLer with a shot at cracking the all-time top 10. (Let’s check back in on Connor McDavid and the rest of today’s early 20somethings in a decade or so.) Crosby needs more than 300 assists to pass Mr. Hockey himself, with Gordie Howe at 1,049 career helpers.
--Ovechkin, the best shooter of this generation, is also one of its most prolific playmakers, ranking 11th among active players with 542 assists and counting.
Top 10 active NHL goalies: WINS
1. Roberto Luongo (all-time: 4th) 1,031483
2. Henrik Lundqvist (all-time: 6th) 845447
3. Marc-Andre Fleury (all-time: 9th) 788433
4. Ryan Miller (all-time: t-16th) 747374
5. Pekka Rinne (all-time: 24th) 608331
6. Cam Ward (all-time: t-25th) 694330
7. Carey Price (all-time: 30th) 602309
8. Jonathan Quick (all-time: t-32nd)586304
9. Craig Anderson (all-time: t-43rd) 599275
10. Tuukka Rask (all-time: 52nd) 481257
--Luongo needs two more wins to pass Ed Belfour (484) for third-place in all-time wins, an incredible career achievement. If he can hold off Father Time and the injury bug, Luongo should be able to join Martin Brodeur (691) and Patrick Roy (551) as the only goalies ever to win 500 NHL games.
--Lundqvist, perhaps, also has a chance to join the 500-win club, but the active goalie to watch has got to be Fleury. He’s signed through the 2021-22 season with the Golden Knights, and doesn’t currently have any competition for the starting job in Vegas. He’s not going to catch Brodeur, but he’s got a shot at overtaking Roy.
--Jaroslav Halak (247 wins), Braden Holtby (245), Sergei Bobrovsky (242) and Antti Niemi (242) sit just outside the top 10 among active goalies.
Top 10 active NHL goalies: SHUTOUTS
1. Roberto Luongo (all-time: 9th) 1,03177
2. Henrik Lundqvist (all-time: 16th) 84563
t-3. Pekka Rinne (all-time: t-21st) 60854
t-3. Marc-Andre Fleury (all-time: t-21st) 78854
5. Jonathan Quick (all-time: t-25th) 58651
6. Jaroslav Halak (all-time: t-31st) 47946
t-7. Tuukka Rask (all-time: t-35th) 48143
t-7. Carey Price (all-time: t-35th) 60243
t-7. Ryan Miller (all-time: t-35th) 74743
10. Craig Anderson (all-time: t-40th) 59941
--Luongo sits six shutouts shy of the all-time top five, with Jacques Plante holding down the No. 5 spot with 82 career whitewashes. Brodeur is No. 1 with 125 career shutouts, Terry Sawchuk is the only other goalie to record more than 100 blankings (103).
--It’s unlikely any other active goalie cracks the all-time top 10 in shutouts. Tony Esposito and Belfour are tied for 10th with 76.
--Anderson doesn’t as much recognition as most of the other netminders listed here, but he deserves a stick tap on the pads for residing in the active top 10 in both wins and shutouts.