In the April 27 issue of The Hockey News:
Pick up a copy at your local newsstand, buy it digitally, or subscribe at thehockeynews.com today!
• With the playoffs in full swing, we take a deeper look at some of the many components that make up post-season hockey, including frenzied fans, lengthy overtime, breakout players and the code that everyone follows.
• Senior writer Ken Campbell takes a closer look at NHL officials and their roles in the playoffs.
• In Overtime, columnist Eric Duhatschek looks at going back to the divisional playoff format.
• Inside the NHL looks at the rink players think is the most intimidating to go into at playoff time and what the past 10 Stanley Cup Champions have in common.
• THN Blogger Justin Bourne looks at how important team chemistry is and the role it plays in success.
• Editor-in-chief Jason Kay writes about some changes that could be made to the playoff format down the road to make the post-season even more exciting.
• In Proteau Type, columnist Adam Proteau discusses the grind that is the NHL playoffs with thoughts from some current and former players and coaches
• Our Team Reports breakdown each squad and grade them by position.
• Prospects Unlimited profiles Yannick Weber of the Hamilton Bulldogs, Mike Moore of the Worcester Sharks, Olivier Roy of the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles and Patrick Wiercioch of the University of Denver. Jason Krog can expect the call from the Vancouver Canucks and we rank the top goalies in the American League.
• Inside the Numbers: win-loss trends in the playoffs.
• The International Report looks at the Kontinental League and their plan to start a junior league for the 2009-10 season and Eye on Europe explores the dynasties that are alive and well.
• In Crowd Shots, the best Letters to the Editor are featured and Adam Proteau answers readers’ questions in Ask Adam.
• The best and worst of hockey in Plus/Minus.
• Depth charts, including first power play unit and next in line for each of the 30 NHL franchises.
• Last Minute of Play features Charlie Teljeur’s hockeysockpuppettheatre cartoon, Larry Humber’s hockey crossword puzzle and Ryan Kennedy’s Jersey Hound, where he looks at the Kontinental League jersey currently being modeled in games by former Ottawa Senator Ray Emery.