Bobby Ryan is going to have a puppy named after him thanks to a goal that won a young fan a bet. The bet was between Cole Jansen and his father, and the bet was quite simple: if Ryan scored during Sunday’s game against the Rangers, the Jansen family was getting a puppy. As Cole’s luck would have it, Ryan banged home a loose puck Sunday and Cole was able to start thinking about names for his new dog. There was only one choice, really. The puppy will be named Bobby:
Ryan has scored 205 goals in his career and he could score 205 more, but none will be as important to the Jansen’s as the one that got them a dog. Ryan admitted post-game that he felt pressure to get on the board to get Cole a four-legged friend. "I wanted to get the poor kid a dog," Ryan said, per NHL.com. "I couldn't really hear what was going on, I couldn't understand much of [the interview]. But I heard I was buying (another dog) if I scored another one, or something like that. That was a fair deal. I would have done that for them. I saved myself some money at least.” Cole’s great sign made for one of the best stories of the season, and because of that it’s up there with one of the best signs to ever appear at an NHL contest. It’s not on our top 10, though. Our favorites range from teasing friends, family and players to declarations of unrelenting love.
10. Marry Me Bennett? Two for the price of one with this sign as two female fans cheering for opposite squads ask their respective Bennett’s, Calgary’s Sam Bennett and Pittsburgh’s Beau Bennett, to pop the question.
9. Selanne loved by Jets fans Teemu Selanne likely won’t have his jersey retired by the current Jets organization, but fans in Winnipeg haven’t forgotten what Selanne accomplished while a member of the original Jets. This man’s wife doesn’t even mind that her husband’s love has been split between her and the legendary Finn.
8. An apology Who says opposing fans can’t offer up their condolences when things don’t go as expected? Here’s a nice fan apologizing for the Penguins’ tough luck in acquiring a five-time 30-goal scorer.
7. Grand opening Philadelphia sports fans have been responsible for some of the most infamous moments in sports history, but more often than not they’re just trying to have some good-natured fun and throw the opposition off their game. Take this fan, for instance, who is inviting Flyers fans to a brand new spot he’s found.
6. No Lanny McDonald November can be a rough month for those who choose to support the Movember cause but can’t quite get the mustache out of those awkward beginning stages. This fan wants to make it clear this isn’t his normal look and he’s just supporting a good cause.
5. Father-son rivalry night Sometimes fandom can be determined by the teams and players our family members love. For instance, a family in Toronto may be made up of all Montreal Canadiens fans. However, there are also households divided, like say a household full of Winnipeg Jets fans with one San Jose Sharks fan mixed in. That can be cause for a rivalry and, on the occasions those fandoms clash, potential disownment.
4. Thrashers mascot asks nicely On any given night, a fan asked to “Make Some Noise!” by a mascot or scoreboard may choose to sit silently, but maybe those choosing to keep quiet while fans around them hoot and holler could be swayed by some manners. Here’s the Thrashers mascot trying to pump up the crowd in the most polite way possible.
3. Not about the money Most fans asking for a players’ hand in marriage are asking because they genuinely love watching that player play. They don’t see dollar signs in their. But this blushing bride-to-be wants to make it clear to Sidney Crosby that it’s not about the money.
2. Crosby lends a hand Hello friend, I’m writing to ask you if you’ve seen this photo of fans taunting Sidney Crosby. Anyone who uses email has gotten the scam junk mail where a price has a can’t-miss investment opportunity for you or a “friend” stranded in a foreign country needs money, and they need it fast. It’s hard to believe these scams ever work, but Crosby couldn’t pass up the opportunity to help those in need. The cheaply made sign really adds to the joke.
1. Classic burn Tame but effective. The mark of a true gem. This is an all-timer and the photo is as great as the sign.