Swedish winger played only 51 games in depth role for Buffalo after a career-high 28 goals in 2022-23
There are expected to be more than a few roster changes for the Buffalo Sabres roster this summer, and pending unrestricted free-agent winger Victor Olofsson will be one of them. The veteran winger indicated in an interview with the Swedish outlet Expressen earlier this week that he will not be returning to the Sabres and will be looking to hook on with another NHL club on July 1.
“I didn’t have a fun season,” Olofsson said. “It was a very big disappointment. I didn't get the role I previously had at all and considering how I performed, it was a bit frustrating.”
The 28-year-old winger scored a career-high 28 goals in 2022-23 but was used sparingly by Don Granato in the last few weeks with the Sabres battling for an Eastern Conference wildcard spot. Olofsson was widely speculated to be heading elsewhere last summer, but those plans changed with the injury to winger Jack Quinn in off-season training.
Olofsson was underutilized last season, playing mostly fourth-line duty (11:34 per game), and scored only seven goals in 51 games. Sabres GM Kevyn Adams dealt the expiring contracts of veterans Kyle Okposo and Erik Johnson before the March 8 trade deadline, but he was not moved even though he requested a trade.
[embed]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fms9MbJUceY[/embed]
The winger will play for Sweden in the upcoming World Championships in Czechia next month and is looking forward to signing with another NHL club to continue his pro career.
“I want to stay and play hockey at as high a level as I can. I think I have the qualities to be able to contribute in an NHL team.” Olofsson said.
LATEST THN BUFFALO STORIES