Detroit Red Wings defenseman Moritz Seider offered a diplomatic response to the two major storylines the club has faced so far this offseason following Dylan Larkin's trade request and GM Steve Yzerman vacating his role.
Since the conclusion of the 2025-26 season, the Detroit Red Wings have been at the center of two of the NHL's biggest storylines, neither of which was optimistic for the organization.
First, captain Dylan Larkin shocked fans by requesting a trade and further complicated matters by reportedly limiting his preferred destinations to only three teams, tying Detroit's hands.
Then, in mid-July, GM Steve Yzerman vacated his role and transitioned into a senior advisor to team owner Chris Ilitch. As of Aug. 21, the Red Wings remain without a general manager, though the organization has hired a search firm and reportedly cast a wide net in its search for Yzerman's successor.
Until recently, no current Red Wings players had publicly commented on the uncertainty surrounding the organization. That changed Friday, when defenseman Moritz Seider addressed the situation during the NHL/NHLPA European Player Media Tour in Munich.
Seider acknowledged the elephant in the room without specifically mentioning Larkin or Yzerman, making it clear he understands the organization has plenty to address, but said those decisions are ultimately above his pay grade and will be up to Detroit's next management group to sort out.
“Obviously everyone knows what's going on with our team,” Seider said. “But I'm just excited to jump on the plane and represent this organization, see my teammates, see all our staff, all the people in the front office.
“It's just up to management,” Seider added. “I'm a player and don't have to decide all those things. I think there's a big list of things that need to be addressed, and whoever's going to be the new person, I think will guide us in the right direction.”
Bookmark The Hockey News Detroit Red Wings team site to stay connected to the latest news, game-day coverage, and player features.

Seider, who was the first draft selection that GM Steve Yzerman made upon his return to Detroit in April of 2019, also said that the players have to accept their share of blame for their last three March collapses.
“Obviously you never want anything like that to happen, but then you also start questioning yourself,” Seider said. “Did the team do enough to make us a proud franchise?’ I think that's where we can take a little bit of blame.”
In the meantime, Seider reiterated his commitment to making the Red Wings one of the NHL's top-tier franchises again while praising the loyalty and passion of Detroit's considerable fan base.
“There's so much about this club that makes it so special,” Seider said. “You get reminded every time you walk into that precious building playing in front of great fans that are dying for that sport. I think that's what I'm most excited about coming back, is playing in front of the fans.
“Obviously, they've been with us through good and bad, and hopefully we can continue to do some good.”
Seider, who has never missed a game in his NHL career, registered career-bests in goals (10), assists (50), and ice time (25:39 per contest) this past season, while also garnering consideration for the Hart Trophy as the League's most valuable player.
Following a 6-3 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers on April 9, in which Larkin scored a hat trick to keep Detroit's faint playoff hopes alive, Seider made it clear that he and his teammates support their captain.
"He's our leader; we believe in him," Seider said. "We don't really care what you guys say about us outside of this locker room. We always trust him.....we're a better team with him in the lineup than without."
With each passing day, the likelihood of Larkin reporting to Red Wings Training Camp, which begins Sept. 17, increases. Naturally, that could make for an awkward return to the dressing room he requested to leave.
However, there's nothing to indicate that Seider, along with the rest of his teammates, would be anything less than professional if Larkin were to return despite his public trade request.
Never miss a story by adding us to your Google News favorites!

For action-packed issues, access to the entire magazine archive and a free issue, subscribe to The Hockey News at THN.com/free. Get the latest news and trending stories by subscribing to our newsletter here. And share your thoughts by commenting below the article on THN.com or creating your own post in our community forum.



