Powered by Roundtable
Frederik Andersen Addresses the Media

The Carolina Hurricanes have been without star goaltender Frederik Andersen since a blood-clotting issue was discovered in a routine medical exam back in November.

However, after resuming on-ice activities last month, Andersen looks to be on the verge of making his return.

The 34-year-old netminder started skating with the team in full practices two and a half weeks ago and even spoke with the media a week after that. 

At the time, Andersen and Hurricanes coach Rod Brind'Amour each stated that the goaltender didn't have an exact timetable for his return, but now it feels like that date may be soon. 

When asked about Andersen potentially either starting or backing up a game this week, Brind'Amour was optimistic.

"I hope so," Brind'Amour said following Monday's practice. "We'll see. When he gives us the green light, then we'll go from there.

"He's in practice and he's going full at it, so I would anticipate... but I've said that before. I think it's around the corner. I don't want to say it's the next one — don't want to put that out there — but he looks good and I think feels good. So it's coming."

General manager Don Waddell also told Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer last Thursday that he expected Andersen back "hopefully in this next week."

The Canes' next play Thursday at home when they take on the Montreal Canadiens and following that is an afternoon matinee in New Jersey.

If things keep trending in the right direction, either of those games could be primed for an Andersen return.